8th Grade Math Placement
The Westford Public School offers two math courses to 8th graders, 8th Grade Math and Algebra 1. Criteria for placement into Algerba 1 is both quantitative and qualitative.
- Criteria for Math Placement
- Math Study Habits/Skills Rubric
- VIDEO: 2020 8th Grade Math Placement Process
- Slides: 2020 8th Grade Math Placement Process
- Directions: How to Access Placement Test
Characteristics of Successful Accelerated/Honors Math Students
- Students have the ability to grasp new concepts at a rigorous pace without intervention.
- Students complete assessments in a timely manner utilizing the most efficient strategies.
- Students utilize a variety of strategies to solve problems.
- Students are able to apply skills and concepts to new and non-routine situations.
- Students are independent and self motivated learners.
- Students make transitions easily and maintain focus on learning experiences without prompting.
- Students are actively engaged in classroom activities and discussions.
- Students complete homework independently and thoroughly in an appropriate amount of time.
- Students are receptive to constructive feedback.
- Students make efficient and effective use of class time.
- Students independently seek clarification when necessary.
- Students maintain recommended grade pre-requisite (high school).
6-12 Mathematics Coordinator