NATIONAL CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK (FINGERPRINTING)
WHAT ARE THE NATIONAL CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK REGULATIONS?
On January 10, 2013, Governor Patrick signed into law H. 4307, An act relative to background checks. The new law requires all public school employees in Massachusetts to submit to fingerprint-based state and national criminal background checks.
School volunteers and subcontractors/laborers commissioned by schools to perform work on school grounds, may need to submit their fingerprints for the state national checks if asked to do so, and they must continue to submit to state CORI checks. At the discretion of the school employer, subcontractors or laborers commissioned by schools to perform work on school grounds may be required to submit both a CORI check and fingerprint-based state and national background checks.
At this time, requiring school volunteers to submit to the fingerprint background check is at the discretion of the school district. Westford Public Schools has concluded that field trip chaperones and volunteer athletic coaches will be required to complete the fingerprint obligation in addition to the annual CORI back ground check. Classroom volunteers will not be required to submit to fingerprint based background checks but will still be required to complete an annual CORI background check.
Under the law, all newly hired school employees are required to submit their fingerprints for state and national criminal history checks.
The vendor selected to do the fingerprinting is IdentoGO. Their website is: http://www.identogo.com/Home.aspx
The Provider ID for Westford Public Schools is 03260000
OVERVIEW OF THE FINGERPRINTING PROCESS
- Register for your fingerprinting appointment via website at www.identogo.com or call 844-321-2124.
- Bring approved form of ID & registration confirmation to your appointment and have fingerprints taken.
- After your appointment, send a copy of your receipt to HR
- The results from your criminal record checks are sent to MA DCJIS for review.
- Results are returned to the district(s) identified by you during the registration process.
- Go to this website and click on Massachusetts: https://www.identogo.com/services/live-scan-fingerprinting
- Click on Online Scheduling or call 866-349-8130. You may pay by credit card at the time of registration or by check or money order at the time of your appointment. The fee is $55 if you hold a DESE license and $35 for all others. You will enter Provider ID 03260000 for Westford Public Schools.
- Bring a copy of your registration confirmation to your scheduled appointment with approved form of ID.
- Go to your scheduled appointment. Please retain the receipt from your appointment.
Rescheduling and refunds: There are very specific conditions for refunds and missed appointments. The link to reschedule and refund policy is: https://ma.ibtfingerprint.com/?static=1&page=refundpolicy
WEBSITE INFORMATION AND HOW TO REGISTER: https://ma.ibtfingerprint.com
1. How is this different from CORI? Fingerprinting is a ONE TIME event, CORI is performed annually. Fingerprinting reports will state all arrests nationwide. CORI reports only Massachusetts arrests.
2. Will I still be required to submit a CORI every year? Yes. The fingerprinting process does not replace the annual CORI check.
3. May I go to my local police station to submit my fingerprints for the state and national criminal history checks? No. The state requires you use the selected vendor.
4. Are all staff required to be fingerprinted? Yes. All Massachusetts school employees are required to be fingerprinted.
5. Is there a fee for fingerprinting? Yes. Any staff member who holds a DESE License is required to pay a $55 fee regardless of whether or not a DESE license is required for your position. Staff members who do not hold a DESE license are required to pay a $35 fee. Under GL Chapter 459 of the Acts of 2012, the employee is responsible for this fee.
6. Who will have access to the results of my fingerprint background check? MA state regulations limit who has access to fingerprinting results. Only select personnel deemed appropriate by the Superintendent of Schools will have access to the results. All results are confidential.
7. What is an approved form of ID? Approved forms of ID include but are not limited to, Drivers License, US or Foreign Passport, US Military ID card (with photo), State Issued ID, or Employment Authorization document. All forms of ID must include a photo, full name, and date of birth. All documents must be verifiable and unexpired.
8. I work in more than one district. Will I be required to be fingerprinted separately for each district? Employees such as substitutes, coaches, bus drivers, and contracted services who work in multiple districts will have the opportunity to have their results sent to up to 10 districts. Please note: each school district has a unique provider ID. You will need to obtain the provider ID from each district prior to registering for your appointment. During the registration process, you will be asked to input the district code, or “Provider ID” that you wish to have your results sent to.
9. I have been fingerprinted for another district, will I need to be fingerprinted again for Westford? No. Please contact the district that you were originally fingerprinted for, and request a Suitability Determination be sent to the HR Department of Westford Public Schools. Please note, you must have been fingerprinted for another Massachusetts School District. Fingerprints taken for another agency, or in another state are not acceptable.
Westford Public Schools
978-692-5560 Ext. 2138 or Ext. 2108
Email: [email protected]