Westford Academy Summer Reading Program
This year all students are required to read at least one novel during the summer break. Students should read the book that has been listed as the required reading for the level of English in which they are enrolled. If there is any question about a level, students should consult their 2018-2019 schedule.
The assigned reading should be completed before August 28, 2018. Book stores and libraries have been advised to expect an increased demand for certain titles. Since students will be required to bring the book to class, it is preferred that students secure their own personal copy. Students will begin the year by discussing the required reading and completing a formal assessment. In addition to this required reading, students are encouraged to select at least two additional works recommended by the Westford Academy English Department. We encourage parents to guide their children in their choice of additional reading materials.
- English 9 CP I, II - Touching Spirit Bear by Ben Mikaelsen
Honors 9 - Touching Spirit Bear by Ben Mikaelsen and The Chosen by Chaim Potok
- English 10 CP I, II - The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd
Honors 10 - The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd and The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri
- English 11 CP I, II - Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer
Honors 11 - Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer and The Awakening by Kate Chopin
- English 12 CP I, II - Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
Honors 12 - Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury and The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
Advanced Placement - Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte and Catch 22 by Joseph Heller
Recommended by Westford Academy and The American Library Association.
- Adams, Richard. Watership Down.
- Agee, James. A Death in the Family
- Atwood, Margaret. A Cat's Eye.
- Butler, Octavia. Parable of the Sower.
- Card, Orson Scott. Ender's Game.
- Cather, Willa. My Antonia.
- Cather, Willa. The Song of the Lark.
- Cisneros, Sandra. The House on Mango Street.
- Cormier, Robert. The Chocolate War.
- Cormier, Robert. After the First Death.
- Dostoyevsky, Fyodor. Crime and Punishment.
- Dickens, Charles. Great Expectations.
- Drieser, Theodore. An American Tragedy.
- Drieser, Theodore. Sister Carrie.
- Erdrich, Louise. Love Medicine.
- Ellison, Ralph. Invisible Man.
- Faulkner, William. The Sound and the Fury.
- Flagg, Fanny. Fried Green Tomatoes.
- Frazier, Charles. Cold Mountain.
- Gaines, Ernest. A Lesson Before Dying.
- Gardner, John. Grendel.
- Gibbons, Kaye. Ellen Foster.
- Guest, Judith. Ordinary People.
- Hawthorne, Nathaniel. The House of the Seven Gables.
- Hemingway, Ernest. A Farewell to Arms.
- Hemingway, Ernest. The Sun Also Rises.
- Hemingway, Ernest. For Whom the Bell Tolls.
- Hemingway, Ernest. The Old Man and the Sea.
- Hesse, Hermann. Siddhartha.
- James, Henry. Washington Square.
- King, Laurie R. The Beekeeper's Apprentice.
- Knowles, John. A Separate Peace.
- Kozsinski. Jerzy. The Painted Bird.
- Markandaya, Kamala. Nectar in a Sieve.
- McCullers, Carson. The Member of the Wedding.
- MacLeish, Archibald. J.B.
- Malamud, Bernard. The Fixer.
- Miller, Arthur. All My Sons.
- Mori, Kyoko. Shizuko's Daughter.
- Morrison, Toni. The Bluest Eye.
- O'Brien, Tim. The Things They Carried.
- O'Connor, Flannery. Everything That Rises Must Converge.
- O'Connor, Flannery. Wise Blood.
- O'Neil, Eugene. Desire Under the Elms.
- Orwell, George. 1984.
- Plath, Sylvia. The Bell Jar.
- Power, Susan. The Grass Dancer.
- Proulx, Annie. The Shipping News.
- Shaara, Michael. The Killer Angels.
- Steinbeck, John. Grapes of Wrath.
- Steinbeck, John. Of Mice and Men.
- Tan, Amy. The Joy Luck Club.
- Tyler, Ann. Dinner at the Homesick Restaurant.
- Walker, Alice. The Color Purple.
- Watson, Larry. Montana 1948.
- Williams, Tennessee. A Streetcar Named Desire.
- Wright, Richard. Native Son.
- Frank, Anne. The Diary of a Young Girl.
- Kingsolver, Barbara. High Tide in Tucson.
- Kidder, Tracy. Home Town.
- Junger, Sebastian. The Perfect Storm.
- McBride, James. The Color of Water.
- Gunther, John. Death Be Not Proud.
- Albom, Mitch. Tuesdays with Morrie.
- McCourt, Frank. Angela's Ashes.
- Wolff, Tobias. This Boy's Life.