The Westford Public School begins the Accelerated Math Program in Grade 5. Criteria that we follow is as objective as possible in this process.
For more information on the criteria used from one grade level to the next, click on any of the links below:
Characteristics of Successful Accelerated/Honors Math Students
- Students have the ability to grasp new concepts at a rigorous pace without intervention.
- Students complete assessments in a timely manner utilizing the most efficient strategies.
- Students utilize a variety of strategies to solve problems.
- Students are able to apply skills and concepts to new and non-routine situations.
- Students are independent and self motivated learners.
- Students make transitions easily and maintain focus on learning experiences without prompting.
- Students are actively engaged in classroom activities and discussions.
- Students complete homework independently and thoroughly in an appropriate amount of time.
- Students are receptive to constructive feedback.
- Students make efficient and effective use of class time.
- Students independently seek clarification when necessary.
- Students maintain recommended grade pre-requisite (high school).
K-5 Mathematics Coordinator
6-12 Mathematics Coordinator